An elderly Sallisaw resident died Sunday when his home caught fire, Fire Chief Anthony Armstrong said.
The fire department was called to the scene at 10:39 p.m. Sunday. When crews arrived at the home, they found smoke billowing from the doors and windows. Armstrong said the home is behind the Sallisaw rodeo grounds.
The Sallisaw Police Department also responded to the scene.
When firefighters made entry into the home, they found the unnamed elderly man lying on a bed in the living room. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Armstrong said the fire appeared to be accidental. He noted that the elderly man was a heavy smoker and that oxygen was in use. Foul play is not suspected in the blaze.
Laura Brown, KXMX Staff Writer
For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com