The state fire marshal is looking into the cause of a fire that destroyed a home southwest of Sallisaw Wednesday morning.
Firefighters reported a male occupant of the house was rescued and transported by ambulance to an area hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. The residence was described as a total loss.
Firefighters reported the fire was believed to have started in the attic.
The home belonged to Juanita Lorene Shockey, 87, who died Sunday and whose funeral was scheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday.
Sallisaw Fire Chief Anthony Armstrong said the Sallisaw Fire Department was dispatched at 9:05 a.m. Wednesday to assist the McKey Fire Department with fighting the fire. The Vian Fire Department was also on the scene. Armstrong said firefighters had the fire out about 20 minutes after arriving.
“Because there was no fire hydrant close by, Vian and McKey had to bring water in with tankers,” Armstrong said. “They did a great job on that.”
Armstrong said McKey firefighters stayed at the scene for a while to keep an eye on hot spots.
At 4:10 p.m. Wednesday the fire was reported to have rekindled and McKey firefighters were back at the scene.
Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director
For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com