With Christmas approaching, the Sallisaw Police Department shared some tips with the public on practicing safe shopping and home security through the holiday season.
• Be alert and avoid displaying or carrying large sums of money.
• Beware of strangers approaching you. Thieves may try to distract you with the intention of taking your valuables.
• If you must use an ATM, choose one that is located inside a business or a well-lighted location.
• Report suspicious behavior to the police immediately.
• Lock doors and windows when you leave the house.
• Holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
• When leaving your home for an extended period of time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
• If you shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
• Do not leave valuables in the car.
• Do not leave your vehicle running and unattended.
• Make sure all the car doors are locked before you drive away.
• Only shop on trusted websites.
• Do not click links on emails. Identity thieves can create emails that look like they are from trusted companies, but clicking links may infect your computer or give the thieves access to passwords.
• To keep your bank account safe, use credit or prepaid cards to purchase items.
Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director
For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com