A 33-year-old Fort Smith man was charged with first-degree burglary in Sequoyah County District Court last week after he allegedly broke into a home in the Bunch area that was occupied by a young woman.
William Paul Hernandez is accused of prying open a window to gain entrance to the home. First-degree burglary charges are filed when a building is occupied by a possible victim.
According to the deputy’s report filed with the charges on Aug. 14, the deputy received a report of a disabled vehicle. He found the vehicle, but no driver, and drove through the area when he was stopped by the female resident. The woman said she was frightened because a man had broken into her home.
The deputy then found Hernandez in the home. Hernandez said he had come to pick the woman up but he ran out of “water and oxygen.” He said he had to break into the house to get water and oxygen.
When asked, according to the report, Hernandez told the deputy he had been awake for 16 days and stayed awake by using methamphetamines.
Hernandez was released Aug. 14 on a $6,500 bond. His next court appearance is set for Sept. 26 on the felony disposition docket.
Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director
For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com