Rural fire departments across the state are receiving Oklahoma Operational Assistance Grants in the amount of $3,817.42 to assist with expenses such as firefighting equipment maintenance and purchases, insurance premiums and personal protective equipment.
This year’s funding is provided to 861 fire departments across the state that serve communities with populations of less than 10,000. The funds will be sent to fire departments electronically, and in two payments of $1,908.71 this year. These funds are appropriated by the state legislature, approved by Gov. Mary Fallin, and administered by Oklahoma Forestry Services. The operational grant funds have been awarded to the state’s rural fire departments since the 1980s with the intention to help them with the cost of day-to-day expenses.
“We appreciate that the legislature is continuing to make rural fire departments a priority, despite significant state budget cuts,” said George Geissler, Oklahoma Forestry Services director. “These fire departments do an excellent job of protecting their communities and it is vital that they have the equipment they need. This isn’t a large amount of money, but it can make a big difference to a small fire department.”
Oklahoma Forestry Services is the state’s lead agency for wildland fire fighting and works with rural fire departments across the state to coordinate fire suppression efforts, provide training and improve fire capacity.
Sequoyah County fire departments receiving the aid are:
- Blackgum Mountain Fire Department
- Brent Rural Fire District Inc.
- Brushy Mt.-Sequoyah Co. Fire Dept.
- Central High Fire Association
- Gans Fire Department
- Gore Fire Department
- Lee Creek Rural Fire Department Inc.
- Liberty Volunteer Fire Fighters Assoc. of Sequoyah County
- Maple Rural Fire District Inc.
- Marble City Volunteer Fire Association
- McKey Rural Firefighters Association
- Moffett Fire Department
- Muldrow Fire Department
- Nicut Rural Volunteer Fire Association
- Redland Fire Dept. Inc.
- Rocky Point Rural Fire District Inc.
- Roland Fire Department
- Rural Fire Protection District #1 Sequoyah County
- Sallisaw Fire Department
- Vian Fire Department
- West Tenkiller Protective Association.
Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director
For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com