Friday, December 16, 2016

Son’s Trial for Mother’s Death Set for Feb. 16

Jessie Dean Mosby, 36, who is accused of shooting and killing his own mother, will go to trial on the charge at 9 a.m. Feb. 16 in Sequoyah County District Court, Sallisaw.

Mosby is charged with first-degree murder (malice of forethought) for the shooting death of Karen Gregg on the night of March 2, 2015, on Ruth Street in Sallisaw.

Mosby has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to the charge. While in custody Mosby was committed to the Department of Mental Health for “care and treatment” in May 2015, according to court records, and was found competent to stand trial in December 2015.

According to an affidavit by Shawn Ward, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) special agent, Mosby allegedly shot his mother at about 11:40 p.m. March 2, 2015, with one shot to the head. Ward reported officers were dispatched to a vehicle sitting in the roadway on Ruth Street in Sallisaw. In the vehicle they found Karen Gregg, dead, sitting in the driver's seat. She had a single shot to her head, and officers found a single bullet hole in the rear passenger side glass.

The affidavit reports, "A witness was driving by and told investigators they observed Gregg's car stopped in the roadway on Ruth Street and a white male with long hair, possibly pulled back in a ponytail standing next to the car."

The subject had a light colored dog near him. The male was holding an object in his hand pointed at the vehicle. The witness then heard a loud pop, which they believed to possibly be a gunshot. The witness said the vehicle was then driven forward and came to a stop across the exit area from Armstrong Bank. Police found a fresh footprint from a tennis-type shoe, and a spent 9 mm shell casing at the scene. Video surveillance was also collected.

"Agents believed that Gregg had died from a single gunshot wound to the right side of her face," Ward reports.

Ward also reported that Gregg's grandson, Austin Shrum, was living with Gregg and Mosby, and told investigators that Mosby was carrying a Ruger pistol around the house Monday and, at one point, pointed the gun at Shrum. Mosby then left the residence with the gun, and one of the family dogs.

Shrum said Gregg went looking for Mosby but returned in about five minutes to see if Mosby had returned. When she found he had not she went looking again, Shrum said, and never returned. Mosby later returned to the residence without the pistol and appeared to be out of breath, as if he had been running. Officers then went to the residence to talk to Mosby. At the residence, a search warrant uncovered live rounds of ammunition that resembled the casing found at the scene, and an empty gun box marked as being for a Ruger 9 mm pistol.

After he was interviewed at the police station, Mosby was arrested on one count of first degree murder.

Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director

For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit

 Green Leaf Properties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.