Monday, January 8, 2018

Fire Destroys Home in Brent

Fire destroyed a home in the Brent area early Saturday, and no injuries were reported because of the fire.

Lance Calhoun, Brent Rural Fire Department fire chief, reported the Brent department was dispatched at about 6 a.m. Saturday to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jody Walker, west of U.S. Highway 59 and south of Sallisaw. The Walkers were able to escape the blaze, he said.

Calhoun said the fire began in the chimney and quickly spread through the ceiling, which was wood.

“The roof then collapsed and the house is a total loss,” Calhoun said.

The home was insured, he added.

Calhoun said about 20 firefighters responded to the dispatch, and the Sallisaw and Gans Fire Departments assisted the Brent department.

The firefighters were on the scene until about 10:50 a.m. Saturday.

Calhoun said the Brent Rural Fire Department has openings available to those who would like to be involved in their community as firefighters and who are willing to take the classes. For more information contact Calhoun at 918-775-0885.

Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director

For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.