Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Roland School Oven Leaks, Explodes, Just as New Oven Arrives

The Roland Fire Department was one of the first at the scene when a cafeteria oven exploded Tuesday morning.
Roland School Superintendent Randy Wood explains what happened on Tuesday morning after a leaky gas oven in one of the school's two cafeterias developed a leak and exploded.
The leaky oven in the cafeteria at Roland Junior High School is to be replaced Tuesday.

A gas oven at the Roland Senior and Junior High Schools cafeteria exploded at about 8 a.m. Tuesday, ironically at about the same time the school was notified their new oven had arrived.

School Superintendent Randy Wood said the old oven apparently developed a gas line leak overnight, and when cafeteria workers lit the oven Tuesday morning, the gas exploded. blowing its double doors open. The school called 9-1-1 immediately. Wood said a cafeteria worker was struck on the arm by one of the doors and suffered a bruise, and her hair was slightly singed. She was checked out by emergency care workers on the scene.

Wood said the junior high school, where the cafeteria is located, was evacuated and students sent to the school gym.  Roland police, the fire department, first responders and an ambulance arrived and determined there was no more danger. AOG was checking on the gas line for safety and Wood expected the new oven to be installed on Tuesday.

The junior high school students returned to the school at about 9 a.m., Wood said, and classes continued.

"I am thankful it wasn't more serious," Wood said.

The students will be served sandwiches at lunch on Tuesday and the frozen meatloaf that was to be served went back in the refrigerator, Wood said.

Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director

For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com

   Green Leaf Properties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.