Monday, September 14, 2015

House Fire Under Investigation

A house fire in Sallisaw on Saturday is under investigation and one of the home's occupants is under arrest and in the Sallisaw Jail.

Sallisaw Fire Chief Anthony Armstrong said the fire department was dispatched at 1:35 p.m. Saturday to a house fire at 305 W. Choctaw. Firemen found the living room of the older home engulfed and had the fire out within 10 minutes. The home's occupants were Vernon and Katherine Carter and are believed to rent the home.

Armstrong said the fire appeared to have started near a couch in the living room and the Carters said it may have been caused by an electrical outlet. But, Armstrong reported, drug paraphernalia was found in the home and the fire marshal and Sallisaw police are investigating. Vernon Carter was arrested and booked on suspicion of drug paraphernalia and theft of city utilities and has been released on bond.

Armstrong said firemen were on the scene for about one and a half hours and investigators were on scene until about 8 p.m. Saturday. The home suffered smoke damage throughout, in addition to the burned out living room, Armstrong said.

Sally Maxwell, Senior News Director

For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit

   Green Leaf Properties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.