A Sallisaw fireman was taken to the emergency room at Sequoyah Memorial Hospital in Sallisaw at about 4 p.m. Thursday, suffering from possible heat exhaustion after fighting a fire at a residence north of the Sequoyah County Fairgrounds in Sallisaw.
Fire Chief Anthony Armstrong, who did not want to release the name of the firefighter, said the man was feeling better after receiving fluids at the ER.
The fire did not do a lot of damage, Armstrong said, and may have been caused by a lightning strike the night before.
"It possibly struck the electric or gas lines," Armstrong said, "and smoldered all night. The family did not notice it until smoke started coming up from underneath the floor boards."
Armstrong said the firemen had to cut several holes in the floor to gain access to the fire and extinguish it. They were on the site for about 90 minutes.
For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com